Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blonder than I pay for

I did hear this phrase through another fellow blonde so I can't get credit for coming up with it. However, an incident that occurred yesterday, proves that these moments are just destined to happen. I had been walking at Memorial Park with everyone and their dog (literally!) in Houston. The weather was a treat so all the exercisers were out in full force. Unless I have a walking buddy, I really don't prefer to be amongst the masses but instead to be in a more serene setting. Yet I had an evening small group near the park so I took the plunge.

After finishing a walk, I merged into a mass of cars trying to get out of the park. I couldn't believe the traffic as it inched along~ 10, 15 minutes. As I neared the light to turn onto the main road, I fiddled with my key in the ignition because I had taken it off my keychain and my car died. Now, might I add that I have been having a lot of car problems in the last few months. I have spent the sum total of what would have been a cruise to Greece on repairs. By the way, if you've been on a cruise of the Greek islands and want to share your experience, I'm all ears to live through you.

Honk. More Honking. Many irritated drivers trying to get around me. To which I think, "Do you not see my hazards?" I am attempting to restart my car with no luck. I alternate between panic and the thought that, "Well, I knew it was just a matter of time." I make a vow to join Triple A. I make a vow to begin working for a for-profit company and buy a new car. I make a vow to marry a husband who has a heart for me to have a new car. I make several phone calls to friends, one who gives me the number to roadside assistance. This call leads to multiple other calls to get to a wrecker service. The wrecker guy is kinda cranky and I am not enjoying the dialogue when a man comes up to my door.

This guy asks me if I need any help or a jump. As a smart car girl, I tell him it's not my battery. I invite him to take a look and see what he might figure out. Soon after I climb out of the seat, the ignition on my car starts. I am delighted and wonder what magic he may have worked. The guy announces that my car was in drive and that's why it wouldn't start. Blonder than I pay for moment. I must say, though, at this point, I was just glad I didn't have to pay $100 plus in towing. In my blonde defense, the car did die while in drive. As if it should matter what gear it's in?!?!

Alas, my car has had a couple of times it threatened not to start this week even after this incident. Despite my previous attempts to take it to the repair shop which cannot seem to get it to act up in the same way. Life is like that. Sometimes I'm stuck in a behavior or pattern or attitude that I just can't seem to move forward. I need to get out of the driver's seat and ask God to provide wisdom and deliverance so that I can keep movin' toward my destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment