Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What's in Numbers? Grumbling

On personality tests, I come out as optimistic and easy going (for the most part). I do have some "lion" in me from the tests with animal names as the categories which means I like being boss at times. For those melancholy/beaver types, I admire your temperments and need your strengths but truly am not wired to relate. Inspite of my natural sunny side, I am tempted to grumble.

The car in front of me is not driving sanely, my friend is not able to find a job and I wonder if God hears, the season of my life causes me to question God as I have multiple weddings to attend this spring without being able to fill in the "and guest" category.

Grrrrumble is the sound we hear from the majority of the Israelites in the book of Numbers. As I mentioned before, there are a number of incidents. The Hebrew word for grumblings means, "murmuring, speaking words of complaint, expressing dissatisfaction, implying a failure of proper relationship and possibly faith" (Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains)

The murmuring comes to a head in chapter 20. The Israelites approach Aaron and Moses with accusations, "If only we had perished when our brothers perished before the Lord!", "Why then have you brought the Lord's assembly into this wilderness, for us and our beasts to die here?"

Like the Israelites, my spirit of grumbling begins with giving in to the temptation to think that "if only" this or that would happen or would not have happened, I'd be able to flourish in the Lord. The other temptation is to give in to fear that God does not have good intentions toward me and that the people around me have the ability to drive my destiny when their choices seem to be causing negative affects.

In stark contrast to the others, Joshua and Caleb are commended in the book of Numbers for their faith in God's purposes and promise in the midst of removing enemies from the Promised Land. I want to be counted among the ranks of those who believe God is constantly in motion and at work in all circumstances for my good and His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment