Thursday, November 19, 2009

Meals, Menus and Meaning

I thought I had a pan that was in between these two sizes? I mused aloud as I was preparing dinner for a friend and me. Then I laughed at the fact that I don't know what sizes of pots and pans that I own and that this is a clear sign of my frequency of cooking. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about home cooked meals. I just prefer to go to other peoples' homes to eat them. I think it's partly the singleness syndrome of eating meals over the sink at times.

To my culinary credit, I have had 3 different occasions this week of having friends into my home to eat at my table. That's my spontaneous strategy; once in many moons, I just bust out and do the hospitality thing all at once. I must add also that these occasions have been sweet and refreshing for me in the midst of prep planning and panic. Plus, it is an added perk that my place has been picked up and in order and my new kitchen table and place mats have been broken in over crumbs, kindred conversation and prayers.

On the cooking theme, we had an event this week with my job called "Recipe for Success" that involved enhancing cooking skills and spiritual food for thought. Chef Clive Berkman spoke about finding balance and making meals a place to develop relationship because that is what we were created for. Clive shared his story of encountering wounds through changes in life. He insightfully shared how our responses to those changes cause our hearts to be affected and we live out of those experiences even though we may not be aware of how they are affecting us or our need to forgive people.

At one point, Clive mentioned that one way he dealt with his disappointments and abandonment through relationships was to put his all in to the one thing he could control, his work. Then his famous restaurant burned down and it was another blow. I won't spoil the rest of the story but instead let you soak it in by reading his book, Empty Bottle Moments. You can also take a peak at his website, http://www.cookingwithclive.com/, for recipes and other such culinary stuff. The samples of his recipes that we consumed were quite tasty.



It was a touching story because as my friend mentioned, it's not everyday when a man expresses what goes on inside him and his search for wholeness and peace. I am challenged to think about how I have dealt with the disappointments and abandonment in my life and to consider what I might try to control to avoid more pain. Who knows? Maybe I will also get out those pots and pans sooner rather than later and whip up another creation.


1 comment:

  1. Keep up the hospitality Laura! So glad the event was a success and he stirred things up in more than one way!

    ReplyDelete